Welcome to the Just British Online Motoring Magazine Forums

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEW MEMBERS
I would like to hear how Clubs are attracting new younger members. This seems to be a problem mostly with antique British Cars. Our membership in the CT MG Club, The T Register  etc is getting older, without being able to replace the membership with a younger crowd.

Steve Wincze
Chairperson of
CT MG Club 
BRITISH BY THE SEA GATHERING
Harkness Memorial State Park
June 4th 2017

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-14-2016, 10:04 AM)BLACKKMGTD52 Wrote: I would like to hear how Clubs are attracting new younger members. This seems to be a problem mostly with antique British Cars. Our membership in the CT MG Club, The T Register  etc is getting older, without being able to replace the membership with a younger crowd.

Steve Wincze
Chairperson of
CT MG Club 
BRITISH BY THE SEA GATHERING
Harkness Memorial State Park
June 4th 2017

-------------------

Steve, I think most older car clubs face the same problem. One thing we (Triumph Club of the Carolinas) due is have family memberships and encourage folks to bring their kids/grandkids to events -- at least that way when the cars are passed down (or added to) the younger folks already feel like they are a part of the TCOC. As far as getting younger folks involved outside of the extended family, one thing we have talked about in the past but not acted on yet is suggest holding a joint event with a more modern club, say a local Miata club. Some of their members might be attracted by our cars and cross over.  It's a thought, anyway.  I'll be interested in other replies!
Jamie Palmer
Pittsboro, NC
1956 Standard Vanguard Sportsman, 1963 Triumph Italia 2000, 1963 Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible, 1965 Triumph 2000 Mk. I Estate, 1967 Triumph Spitfire Mk. II, 1969/86 Hathaway Hunter, 1972 Triumph TR6, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1975 Austin Marina
This is interesting subject as it is affecting a lot of car clubs I think and especially the British Car Clubs.

The Central Coast British Car Club in Ventura, CA. is also experiencing the same issue and have been discussing how to keep the club active and healthy.

One thing that our club has been doing at all of our club events to promote the hobby and the preservation of the British Classic Cars is to show anyone who shows any interest in our cars what they are and always invite them to attend our club meeting or a driving event.
Most of our members will also offer to let people sit in their cars, take photos and if time allows give a short ride in their car so they can feel the experience first hand.
Our club also has at least one driving event every month (a mini car show of sorts) to different venues as a group and we always try to provide information about the club and its events by having a couple of the clubs newsletters available to hand out so the people who are interested in the cars can see what our club is doing.
We also let them know that we have a website so they can check out the club via that method of communicating and also because the website has the clubs officers contact information.
Here is the clubs website address:  http://www.centralcoastbritishcarclub.com

Any other ideas that other clubs are doing to gain interest and members is always appreciated.

Martin Keller
CCBCC Recorder
Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 ( A work in progress. )
I think this gets at an issue that is dear to the hearts of a lot of us.  I think Fred Prehodka's article on better club meetings - http://justbritish.com/having-better-club-meetings/ - address some of that. But, the larger issue of getting young people involved in the first place is a big one. We must make it both accessible and interesting for them.
Michael Carnell - Charleston, SC
Editor of Just British Online Motoring Magazine